Sunday, May 13, 2012

Battling Addiction

There are a lot of reasons I quit Facebook.  I'll get more in depth about it in a later post but one significant reason I quit was how much time I was wasting scrolling through the endless amounts of inanity that makes facebook what it is.  I didn't quite realize just how habitual this act had become until I deactivated my account this past Friday evening.

When I woke up Saturday morning, my first impulse was to check facebook to see if anyone had posted about my departure.  I stared dumbfounded at my tablet screen for a good 30 seconds before the reality of that impulse fully hit me.  Wow.  This Thing REALLY has its teeth sunk deep. There may be some rough roads ahead.

Facebook isn't doing addicts any favors either.  After a 20 minute search for the "deactivate account" button, facebook parades all the smiling faces of my friends and family across my screen with messages like, "Connie will miss you!"  As if I won't ever see or hear from them again.  "Ok, you can leave.  But we're keeping your family!"

And then they send me the note pictured here.  I have cropped out at least 2 other "reactivate your account" buttons.  Apparently all I have to do to reactivate my account is to log in.

ENABLERS!


2 comments:

  1. Sadly, I was looking for the "Like" button here....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNOW!!! I do the same thing constantly! It has totally subverted my life!

    ReplyDelete